Thanksgiving is upon us and we hope to keep all of our food allergy patients safe and healthy this holiday season!
If you are planning on hosting the perfect Thanksgiving meal please consider the following.
1. Save the ingredient labels for an allergic guest. They may feel more comfortable double-checking the ingredient list.
2. If your guests ask to contribute, suggest food alternatives such as flowers, or holiday-themed dinnerware.
3. Use a natural turkey. Pre-basted turkeys may contain top allergens such as soy, wheat, and dairy
4. Be careful of cross contamination. Don’t mix utensils while preparing dishes and wipe down surface areas with soap and water. A minor amount of allergen can cause a food allergic reaction.
If you or a loved one is attending a Thanksgiving party here is how you can be prepared.
1. Talk to your host as soon as possible and gently educate them about cross contamination and creating a safe food environment. If there will be food allergens present, having guests wash their hands after the meal could prevent an allergic reaction.
2. Bring delicious safe foods for everyone to try or pack an extra special holiday meal for your loved one with allergies.
3. Coordinate with another adult to watch your child with food allergies. That way everyone gets time to enjoy the party and busy hands stay out of candy dishes and desserts!
4. Reminding your kids before the party of important safety rules is key. They are not to eat any food unless they check with you first.
5. Always have on hand your anaphylaxis action plan, epinephrine devices, antihistamines such as Benadryl, and your allergy doctor’s office phone number on speed dial. 941-927-4888
Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!