One of the best parts about preparing for my OIT presentation at the University of South Florida was learning about the history of OIT. I hope you are as amazed as I was at this timeline. – Dr. Ly
- 500 AD- the ancient Babylonian Talmud has instructions for treating egg sensitivity with egg white.
- 1905- Finkelstein conceptualizes OIT – He successfully desensitizes nurslings with “milk idiosyncrasy” by gradually administering increasing drops of milk.
- 1908- Schofield treats a 13-year-old patient with egg allergy over an 8-month period by incrementally increasing small amounts of raw egg disguised in pill form.
- 1911- Noon & Freeman start Allergy shots to grass pollen.
- 9 OIT reports in total from 1905- 1940
Food OIT started BEFORE allergy shots, and there were several research articles on OIT before World War II ended!